Friday, May 24, 2013

Jury Duty


I got called for jury duty yesterday in Suffolk Superior Court and was chosen for a panel in the trial of a Latino man accused of multiple rapes and assault.  It's possible he is guilty -- and the crime is certainly a heinous and violent offense.

However, when I was called before the judge and asked if there was any reason I could not render an unbiased verdict, 


---I said:  "I believe the criminal justice system and the prisons are prejudiced on the basis of race and class."   

---Would that affect my decision as a juror? the judge asked.  

---I replied: "I could not in good conscious send anyone to jail, regardless of the alleged crime and the evidence, while so many corporate, banker and political criminals remain free and uncharged."  

---The judge: "You are dismissed."

No comments:

Post a Comment